At home I would probably have slept in till now...
Instead, today our ride to church broke down so we had a little service on base with a few songs on the guitar and I ended up giving the message - nearly a 3 point sermon on the temptation of Jesus!
Then we played with the little kids after their service. There's been a lot of holding little african babies and soccer lately (last night my team got whooped, the world cup rematch is prob on monday). this morning a little boy asked to shake my hand, then when I did I felt a little prick of pain. He was holiding a scapel blade in his palm. The little boys thought it was a good joke - they can be brats just like kids anywhere. Luckily only the top layer of skin was broken and so I should be alright. It was just a bit of a scare, although I guess everyone here lives with the possiblity that they could contract aids, especially the 'mommas' in the cottages who live with the kids, they all just count it part of the cost of enriching these kids lives.
As it turns out, they use the scalpels to sharpen their pencils, so I am thinking I'll try buy them all pencil sharpeners.
The welcome BBQ or 'braai' - half a drum of hot coals - is about to begin. This is the official start to the school.
No comments:
Post a Comment