Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Hair braiding and what not...

Today we began sharing our testimonies in class. I think mine was more on the humourous side, especially when I said that just before I left, someone had called and said that they couldn't believe I was becoming a missionary - and I remembered that I had been banned from visiting their house because I had beat up their kid when I was in Yr 6!
Anyway, a definite theme through the many diverse people's lives has been the power of God transforming. There's another aussie here called Matt, and I couldn't believe it when he said he's been sick (mitochondria problem - sound like star wars) and had low self esteem right up through to yr 12, cause he's the most hyperactive and confident boy.
Then it was lot and lots of having my hair braided and teased with the kids. It's a little weird going to visit them because they live in cottages with 'mama's' - carers that rotate through the week, and you have to greet the mama first. Some are friendly, some are a little harder to decipher. Apparently if you don't greet them they become very offended.
hope I'm doing okay on the greetings then.
I'm on classroom, courtyard and rec room cleaning. Can't drive here cause I don't know how to drive a manual which is annoying. Now I will be driven around by Americans who aim for the wrong side of the road.
We can't take photos of the kids for child protection reasons but I will try to get an official photo to put up.

No comments: