Thursday, March 4, 2010

The cost of living

I was just thinking about how so many people may be thinking of moving into missions here, but are concerned about being able to afford living overseas. 'If only they realised how cheap it is' I thought, and then decided to blog about it. I still get a warm glow every time I pay for a meal and it comes to under $1.
So here's some of the costs of living in Chiangmai, Thailand. I put it in US dollars and I know the currencies fluctuate, but you'll get the idea.

Rent per month- $122
Average Thai meal- $0.92
Average Western meal - $7.65
Language Class per hour- $6.12
A full bike tank of petrol- $9
A hair cut - $4.50
A basket of fruit & veges from the market- $2.45
An hour's massage - $3.67
Can of coke - $0.43
A T-shirt - $3
To go to the movies - $4
Check-up at the doctors - $4.50
To get your house cleaned - $9
To get your bike washed - $1
To catch public transport around town one way - $0.60
Electricity bill last month - $12
Randomly watching an elephant walk down a main street in town - priceless


Oh yeah, these prices make me happy.

No comments: