Friday, April 22, 2011

Songkran 2554

No, I do not have the date wrong, that is the year according to the Buddhist calendar used in Thailand. And to celebrate the turning of the year, a national water fight! Why don't we do this in Australia?!
Chiangmai is the acknowledged centre for water play and it is the hottest month of the year. The inner city shuts down, the moat roads are crowded with pick-up trucks full of delighted children (and adults) throwing icy water on passersby, even a group of monks squirted me! So armed with a super soaker I waded into the fray of celebrations, crossing from one side of the city to the other, re-filling my gun from the dirty moat water and hoping I didn't end up with any infections afterwards.
It's just an amazing time where everything pauses and returns to childhood. And the best thing is that Thai people smile at you AFTER you soak them.

No comments: