Sunday, August 10, 2008

What I will miss...

Last night I turned up a little late to my own farewell dinner, an indian curry night hosted at Delle Delle's house. It was a group of very old friends (bar one girl I just met that night) that sat down to eat a 4 course meal that Delle had slaved over all day.
Now girls are always more mature than boys anyway, and never was it so apparent as at dinner; we started by hassling Pete for wearing a hot pink t-shirt, gave Delle instructions on how to cook pappadums when she knew perfectly well, then if you rose from your chair it might disappear under the table only to reappear at the other side, and if you looked away your beer might also disappear. The boys stabbed at each other with the blunt end of their knives, mashed pappadums in each others faces and poured beer into each other's bowls of gelato. Then we rowdily sang an impromptu ode to indian food while iain slapped a two-stringed bass like an epileptic, played chinese whispers charades where Pete completely transformed my act of a spaceman into a disco dancer (at least it matched his shirt), crazy uno where the boys kept talking during the silent plays and just accumulated huge piles of cards which they would then pass off at the first opportunity and in general they cheated at everything!!!
By the end of the night I think I may have strangled them if we played another card game, but this morning I woke up laughing thinking about how Dan had brought his own breathalyser and we all had a go. It was like having all the bratty 8 yr old cousins over at once and while they're there you just wish you weren't related, but in the years afterwards you'll reminisce over the memories...it was community, family.
It is hard to say goodbye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

memories, oh so ... I forget the words but there is a song about memories and if I knew it I would be singing it now. Miss you (again) Jaz. Pete